Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

ubuntu packages

I like to keep notes on the package management commands.  I don't use it all the time so it's nice to have it on hand.  All these except the dpkg command need to be run as root.  Suggested method is using sudo <command>

See all packages on your system:  dpkg --get-selections

Install a package: apt-get install  <package name> 


Update your package list: apt-get update

Upgrade to the latest packages: apt-get upgrade

Upgrade to the latest extended support version:  apt-get  dist-upgrade

Upgrade to the cutting edge at your own risk: do-release-upgrade
  I like to run with the latest when I'm running a vm since I can rebuild it easily.  For my "I just need it to work" machines I run the extended support version.  


No comments:

Post a Comment